Those roses under my window make no reference to former roses or to better ones; they are for what they are...There is no time to them. There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Books I've Read This Year

Goodreads.com is one of my favorite websites. I love keeping track of all the books I've read. I wish I had it from when I was little. And I wish more of my friends used it. But it's so cool! There's even a challenge that you can set for yourself to see how many books you can read in a year. Originally, my goal was 50, but I upped it to 65 after I was home for a few weeks and pretty much read a book a day. I slow down a lot during the school year, but it's still exciting. Here are the books I've read so far with the rating I gave them at the time and a mini-review (if I remember what it was about)

Water For Elephants (4 stars) - This book was really well written, and I thought the love story was believable. My favorite books have some sort of love plot involved. The movie was really good, too, which I thought was kind of surprising. I didn't know if the language would translate to a movie, but it was definitely worth seeing.

Safe Haven (4 stars)

The World in Half (3 stars)

Sweethearts (3 stars)

Room (4 stars) - This book definitely stuck with me. The narrator was so believable, which was impressive since it was an adult female author as a 5 year old boy. It was really sad, but worth reading.

The Kitchen House (5 stars) - I'm kind of surprised I gave this 5 stars since I don't remember it too clearly, but I do remember reading it quickly. It was also beautifully written, and that can swing a book for me (oh heyy Tess of the D'Urbervilles). I should read it again at some point.

Left Neglected (5 stars) - Tante recommended this one to me. It really made me think about how quickly things can change, and how complicated the brain is. I think I maybe gave it 5 stars because she loved it so much...it might be more like a 4. But it stuck with me, so that makes a difference.

Her Mother's Hope (4 stars)

Clotel (3 stars) - AMS 100

Ain't No Makin It (4 stars) - SOC 100

Uncle Tom's Cabin (4 stars) - AMS 100. Surprisingly good.

Huck Finn (4 stars) - ENG 208. Another one that I liked more than I thought I would.

Her Daughter's Dream (3 stars) - Not as good as the first one. Too much religion for me.

Amusing the Million (3 stars) - AMS 100

Unequal Childhoods (4 stars) - SOC 100

The Weird Sisters (3 stars)

The Sky is Everywhere (4 stars)

Delirium (4 stars) - Can't wait for the sequel

Bread Givers (3 stars) - AMS 100

Bowling Alone (3 stars) - SOC 100

The American Encounter with Buddhism (3 stars) - AMS/RST 203

Promises I Can Keep (3 stars) - AMS 100

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (3 stars) - ENG 208

Howl (3 stars) - AMS 100

The Namesake (4 stars) - AMS 100

As I Lay Dying (3 stars) - ENG 208. I liked it a lot more than I did in high school.

The Source of the River (3 stars) - SOC 100

Fall for Anything (3 stars)

Something Borrowed (3 stars) - Just as disappointing as the movie.

These Things Hidden (4 stars)

Before I Fall (4 stars)- Really good teen lit.

What Happened to Goodbye (3 stars) - One of my least favorite Sarah Dessen books.

Here, Home, Hope (4 stars)

Secret Daughter (3 stars)

The Other Boleyn Girl (4 stars) - This one was really good. I kind of hope that's how it actually happened.

A Change to Make History (4 stars) - Part of my obsession with Teach For America.

Those Guys Have all the Fun (3 stars) - Eye opening look at ESPN. Doesn't seem as fun to work there as I originally thought. Too long.

Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away (4 stars) - Beautiful language.

Lost at School (4 stars) - A really interesting look at why certain kids misbehave.

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen (4 stars) - Another really helpful book for dealing with difficult kids.

Joy For Beginners (5 stars) - Really beautiful, and interesting to think about what my challenge would be. It's cool to think that seemingly little things can change your life.

Sisterhood Everlasting (5 stars) - I had no idea there was going to be a fifth book. SO sad, but it closed out the series really well. A really nice surprise.

Crush (4 stars) - Cute short stories.

Bossypants (4 stars) - Oh, she's funny.

The Violets of March (4 stars) - I liked it, but the love story seemed kind of forced.

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair (4 stars) - A cool memoir. A little repetitive, but it did make me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment